Skip to main content

Mega Construx MOTU Castle Grayskull



So, I finally picked up the Mega Construx Castle Grayskull. Amazon had it listed for $189 so I jumped on it. One bit of sad news, I like keeping box art but Amazon has a hassle-free shipping service where they just ship the box as is. I love Amazon but I am not a fan of this service as they put shipping labels all over the front of the box, ruining it. Luckily, the inside of the box delivered something even better...


How cool is that? So everything worked out in the end. The packaging by Mega Construx is actually very cool. All of the pieces to the Castle came in these great cardboard boxes...



Again, very cool. The vintage cross sell on the covers was a very nice touch. The manual included all of the cover art inserted throughout so if you wanted to toss the box, you didn't have to feel bad about it.


Speaking of the manual, this guy was a beast. Look at that thickness! Mega Construx wasn't joking with this thing, it took me two days to complete with only small breaks in between.


Next, let's look at the figures. The set came with exclusives of the Goddess and the Sorceress, as well as mini comic versions of He-Man, Man at Arms, Skeletor, and Beastman.


The Most Powerful Man in the Universe finally comes with all of his weapons in the same shade of grey. Also, you will notice the Power Sword is the Mini Comic version.


He-Man variations so far. You will notice a lot of these figures have more details than previous releases. He-Man has two-tone coloring on his boots as well as different color fur at the top of them.


The Goddess or Teela, depending on your head cannon. I like to think of the Goddess and an entity that came before most of what happened on Eternia, like the Eternal source of goodness for the planet.


Teela variations.


The Sorceress and Zoar. I wish Zoar was huge like the vintage figure. I always liked the original idea that he was a separate character from the Sorceress that characters could ride on... 

Book (Page 5)
(He-Man and Battle Cat by Kid Stuff. Image from He-man.org)


Man at Arms


Man at Arms variations. What is cool about this is that the un mustached MAA figures become Eternia guards. Instant army builder.


Beastman or Red Beast. Again, check out the details around the fur at his legs and the musculature on his thighs.


Beastman variations. Again, with the intro of the Red Beast character, it is like a new figure.


Skeletor. I did not expect it, but this is my favorite figure from this set.


Skeletor variations. Check out all of the muscle shading on the new Skeletor. And the dark purple really stands out.


Man at Arms showing off the two Weapon Racks.

And now, here is Castle Grayskull...



Unlocking the Castle...



Yeah, he has the Power.


The Castle easily snaps open on the side.


Also on the side is the secret exit like the Classics Castle.



The left interior and...


the right interior.

Here is a section by section of the left...




The computer display.


It swivels open to allow characters to view out the windows.


Man at Arms showing the scale.



Cool gold skulls at the top of the elevator shaft, just like the Classics castle.


And a level by level of the right...



Training area.


Use the Power, He-Man.


The dungeon, with tentacle arms, a nice touch! Also, another green skull above the cell door.



Up one level, we find the space suit, another computer device, the trap door and the throne.


The throne slides left to right and opens the trap door above the dungeon.


How cool are those flags?!


Bottoms up!


Sorceress on the throne.


We already know what will happen here...


Crime never pays.


The area that leads to the side exit.


Top level with the flag, crystal orb, and gun station.



Calling upon the Elders power.


The two sides to the flag.



Manning the guns.




Ready for battle.


Skeletor strikes!


Or is it a diversion...


The Goddess knowing the other secret exit out back.


And Man at Arms is never far away!


So, to me, this was a really great buy. Unlike most similarly priced Lego sets, I feel like I got more than my money's worth. And with more MOTU stuff coming out next year, it feels good to be ahead of the game!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Transformers Legends Scale Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker

Around the end of the G1 line, Transformers made the Pretenders which produced some smaller versions of some popular bots like Jazz and Starscream that would fit in different shells/skins. In 1989, they re-released these figures without the shells and just called them Legends. In the 2000s, Hasbro decided to bring this scale back with their Robots in Disguise, Transformers Universe, Reveal the Shield and various other lines. Over time, the scale has continuously fluctuated so that it is tough to understand just how different figures will line up. This proved particularly challenging for me when I was searching for an appropriately sized Optimus Prime for my GoBots. Well, now I have added some more Transformers to my collection, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker. They are all about the same size. This bothers me a little bit when it comes to Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but when I put them with Optimus or the GoBots, it all works out pretty ...

Toy Biz Batman Batmobile

 Recently, I learned that the Toy Biz Batmobile was a two seater! Talk about a game changer. I loved my Kenner Batmobile, it had the engine missile, machine guns, and the pop out/rotating fire effect, but it could only hold Batman. As a 1966 Batman devotee, I always wanted Robin to ride batarang so that he could hear lectures about automobile safety as he approached his 16th birthday. It took a bit of searching but I found a pretty good one in $50 range on Ebay. The stickers were included but I decided not to apply them. I love the chrome features over the gold hubcaps on the Kenner Batmobile. The passenger seat is everything for me with this. The gear shift opens secret missile launchers in the front.  The Bat Trunk was an interesting feature. It has a lot of depth, which I guess can be useful for taking criminals to Arkham, or disposing of their bodies. I guess everyone has competing views of the Caped Crusaders thes...

Vintage Masters of the Universe - Fisto and Kobra Khan

A really cool side effect of the greatness of the MOTUC line is that many are parting with their vintage figures. This week I picked up Fisto and Kobra Khan.  Both of these guys are in really good condition. The Fisto has a slightly off right leg, the band isn't loose but it is starting to pull backwards. Treacherous snakes. He-Man just needs to last long enough for one of these guys to betray the other. Strongest hands in the land. The team up you always needed.  If you're having Mutant problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but this fist ain't one!

Star Wars Power of the Force Shadows of the Empire Vehicles Outrider and Slave One

  Shadows the Empire was an amazing period in Star Wars history. It's sad that the overall story was just tossed to the side like it was meaningless. I could understand a reworking of certain story elements but just treating it like it never existed was such a blow for me. Thankfully, I will always have the memories and, for now, I have the toys. I didn't have either of these vehicles growing up. I've mentioned in previous blogs how I favored getting multiple figures over a single vehicle when visiting the toy store but that did not mean that I did not want them. Being able to have them now as an adult is still pretty cool.  Slave One We are all well aware of how cool this ship is and the toy is pretty sweet as well. I think my favorite feature is the open up cargo area that helps this ship tread the line between vehicle and playset. Toy Polloi has even designed an insert that you can stick in this area that gives Boba some things to fiddle  with. I also love that it...