Skip to main content

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016

When you become an adult and take up a career, you find that it is harder to keep up with everything going on in the world. When you are a teacher, this becomes next to impossible. That is why I am again in a situation where I found out about a toy line that I like after it has already been axed. This week's victim - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Mega Bloks (Construx), 2016.

Mega has had many goes with different eras of Power Rangers but none of them ever appealed to me by design or by the content. However, discovering the Mighty Morphin variety of Rangers was a sweet surprise this Christmas. I was 7 years old when this brand entered my life. I vividly remember seeing the first teaser for the show on television and running outside and pretending to be these characters before I knew anything about it. There was a certain energy to the series that had a captivating power over we children of the early 90's. Which is why 7 year old me was running around shouting, "Tyrannosaurus!", before the show even aired.

Being a nostalgic toy buyer, my family is always quick to give me an Amazon or Ebay card as a gift. Digging around on Amazon, I was shocked to find out about these guys. Altogether, there are 5 sets and 4 of them were in the $10 range! So I nabbed them all :)





So right away, we have 3 Zords - Triceratops, Sabretooth Tiger, and Tyrannosaurus, 2 mini playsets - a construction site and the Command Center, and the Megazord. We also have 8 minifigures (9 counting Zordon) - Zack, Billy, Trini, Jason, Jason with Dragon Armor, Alpha 5, Goldar, and a Putty. Not a bad start to a collection... until you realize that this was it :/ I don't know if this was due to poor sales or that Hasbro was taking the license but this would be it, as far as sets.* No Mastodon. No Pterodactyl. No Dragonzord. No White Tigerzord. No Ninjazords. No Zeo... you get the idea.

*They did do a blind bag deal to get more figures, including White Ranger Tommy, Green Ranger Tommy, Lord Zedd, more Putties, a translucent Jason, and Kimberly. Also, there was an anniversary set that includes the 6 rangers with their blade blasters. 

I decided to take apart the Megazord and do my best to use its pieces to make my missing core Zords. Overall, I like the way they turned out.





Here are the other Zords. I also made some changes to the Sabretooth Tiger and Triceratops. 






And since I was on a roll, I decided to combine the two playsets to make a larger Command Center.


Here are my current Rangers 



 

My current villains



And a group shot of the Zords


All of this was accomplished in 4 days, THANK YOU, Amazon Prime. Again, the price range on these is too great to pass up so I will be buying another Megazord and finish out the blind bag series. I've also found some great things on Ebay to help round this out. 
#Nostalgiawin 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funko Savage World Thundercats Wave 2

2018 was an exciting time for me because we finally received Thundercats in the same scale as Masters of the Universe! It was a dream come true for myself and, I'm sure, many other children of the 80's. The excitement was unfortunately short lived as the factory that Funko worked with screwed up the plastics used on hip articulation. Many figure arrived with broken or soon to be broken crotches and Funko was dealt a pretty serious black eye. However, they worked hard to fix that issue but that also pushed back Wave 2 of Thundercats over a year. During that time, they went ahead with a mass market retail approach for a DC Comics universe in the Savage World style. While there were some nice toys in this line, especially the Bat Cave, the overall appeal to general audiences didn't seem to be there. A lot of planned Savage World lines seemed to get axed because of the gamble not paying off. Thankfully, Thundercats Wave 2 made the cut and began arriving this past quarter...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Forces/ USS Flagg

Seeing this boxed set a few years ago is what got me back into collecting G.I. Joe. I had passed on the joy of G.I. Joe to my younger brothers, and to its credit, its one of the few franchises that has stuck with them. I don't feel bad about giving them my collection because most of my collections began when my cousins passed them on to me. Plus, with all of the vehicles and playsets, they are a little much to have up and displayed. Finding the Kre-O sets allowed me to keep showing my love for G.I. Joe on a smaller scale.  The fact that it was a Slaughter's Marauders set is was truly sold me. Love the Sarge. So anyways, here are my current Joes. I've already posted a blog about my Cobra collection, which you can find here,  Cobra Forces . After this, I'll make a post on my Iron Grenadiers and the rest of my Vehicles/Playsets. USS Flagg Not an official set. I found this Chinese knock off and modified the cabin so that it could hold figures. Also added...

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016 - Lord Zedd and Custom Squatt

So, 29 Blind Bags later, I completed the official collection with Lord Zedd. I've really enjoyed this series. Sure it is not the most detailed or articulated but there is just a certain fun factor that radiates from these figures. And now that it is complete, my focus has turned to what customs I can create. I've already posted about Rita Repulsa. By Zedd, she looks pretty great. Now I've added another custom with Squatt. It was challenging finding which lego pieces would best reflect the character. Here are my current Evil Space Alien leaders. I still have a few more in the works.

Kre-O G.I. Joe Battle Wagon

  G.I. Joe has always had amazing vehicles for your figures to interact with. As the line grew, so did the imaginations of the creators, as each year seemed to provide us with something bigger than the one before. After the U.S.S. Flagg and the Defiant, bigger was no longer an option but that didn't stop G.I. Joe from just going big and bold with their designs.  The 1990s era of the line is not universally loved but they gave us plenty of big vehicles, including the Battle Wagon. The Battle Wagon was heavily marketed as an essential item for Joe fans of the time, especially in the DIC cartoon. Unfortunately, I never had it as a kid. It was a high price tag item and, honestly, I never remember seeing it in stores. When I was in college, my younger brother bought two of them on ebay. Being able to see them in person, I had to agree it was worth the hype that Hasbro put around it. I've now moved away from collecting traditional Joes. I'm older and I want my nephews and nieces ...