Skip to main content

Flash Gordon

 


Flash Gordon. For many of us, seeing that name evokes the imagery, sounds, and energy of the fantastically over the top 1980 film. The bright colors. The Queen Soundtrack. Brian Blessed's Vultan's booming and jovial voice.


This was my introduction to the franchise as well. It's an amazing film that still entertains as much today as it hoped to do back then. In fact, the film stuck with me so much that it pushed me to look further back into the history of Flash Gordon. "If this was the 'campy version', what was it really like?"

Digging deeper, I found the 1970's Filmation series AND their hidden film. I say hidden because it has yet to be re released outside of a Japanese Laserdisc copy that some kind soul uploaded to Youtube. This was a great series that included more of the Flash Gordon world than the 1980's film. I especially love this incarnation of Thun, the Prince of the Lion Men. And of of course, Bob Ridgely's voice stands way out with his portrayal of our hero.


There was also, of course, Defenders of the Earth. This short lived 1980's cartoon pulled Flash into a team with other King Features characters like the Phantom, Mandrake the Magician, and his ally Lothar. I never really cared for this show as it tried to shoehorn in 'legacy characters', the children of each hero.


At this point, I was thoroughly caught up in this world of adventure and desired to know the REAL story. I began reading the collected editions of Alex Raymond's Sunday comic strip. Honestly, for a series that began in 1934, it sucked me right in. From week to week, it was hard to tell if Raymond was making this up as he went along or not because an elaborate backstory began to unfold behind what was otherwise just a weekly cliffhanger. Characters that started out as fairly one dimensional all began to have strong motivations behind their actions. This was a soap opera in adventure clothing and I loved it.


After this, I chose to look into the Universal Serials from the 1930's and 40's. While the dialogue can be cringeworthy and some of the plot stretched thin to create the next cliffhanger, they really did a nice job with this. From sets and costumes to their models and miniatures, you could tell that Universal really wanted this to succeed. The first serial especially, originally titled as just Flash Gordon, does an amazing job building Alex Raymond's world.

A few years ago, I had the idea to try and create my 'ideal' Flash Gordon films. Taking the soundtrack from the 1980's film, I began the journey of editing the 4+ hours of the first Serial down into a much more streamlined and cohesive story. Because I was changing the soundtrack, I had to accept the fact that I would have to cut out the dialogue too. This was now going to be a silent film, which was fine with me. Not only would this cut out some of the wooden line delivery but it allowed me to actually script the film myself. 

The long process finally reached its end this year. The edited film now is just over two and half hours and split into 3 sections. I'm really proud of this. While there were some errors along the way, I learned a lot in the process and am now three chapters into my edit of the second Serial, Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars!

Below are the links to each part. I hope you enjoy it and maybe they will help you discover the deep and engrossing world of Flash Gordon that exists beyond the 1980's extravaganza. Without a doubt, Gordon's Alive!

Part One:


Part Two:


Part Three:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Toy Biz Batman Batmobile

 Recently, I learned that the Toy Biz Batmobile was a two seater! Talk about a game changer. I loved my Kenner Batmobile, it had the engine missile, machine guns, and the pop out/rotating fire effect, but it could only hold Batman. As a 1966 Batman devotee, I always wanted Robin to ride batarang so that he could hear lectures about automobile safety as he approached his 16th birthday. It took a bit of searching but I found a pretty good one in $50 range on Ebay. The stickers were included but I decided not to apply them. I love the chrome features over the gold hubcaps on the Kenner Batmobile. The passenger seat is everything for me with this. The gear shift opens secret missile launchers in the front.  The Bat Trunk was an interesting feature. It has a lot of depth, which I guess can be useful for taking criminals to Arkham, or disposing of their bodies. I guess everyone has competing views of the Caped Crusaders thes...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Forces/ USS Flagg

Seeing this boxed set a few years ago is what got me back into collecting G.I. Joe. I had passed on the joy of G.I. Joe to my younger brothers, and to its credit, its one of the few franchises that has stuck with them. I don't feel bad about giving them my collection because most of my collections began when my cousins passed them on to me. Plus, with all of the vehicles and playsets, they are a little much to have up and displayed. Finding the Kre-O sets allowed me to keep showing my love for G.I. Joe on a smaller scale.  The fact that it was a Slaughter's Marauders set is was truly sold me. Love the Sarge. So anyways, here are my current Joes. I've already posted a blog about my Cobra collection, which you can find here,  Cobra Forces . After this, I'll make a post on my Iron Grenadiers and the rest of my Vehicles/Playsets. USS Flagg Not an official set. I found this Chinese knock off and modified the cabin so that it could hold figures. Also added...

Vintage Masters of the Universe - Fisto and Kobra Khan

A really cool side effect of the greatness of the MOTUC line is that many are parting with their vintage figures. This week I picked up Fisto and Kobra Khan.  Both of these guys are in really good condition. The Fisto has a slightly off right leg, the band isn't loose but it is starting to pull backwards. Treacherous snakes. He-Man just needs to last long enough for one of these guys to betray the other. Strongest hands in the land. The team up you always needed.  If you're having Mutant problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but this fist ain't one!

Star Wars Power of the Force Shadows of the Empire Vehicles Outrider and Slave One

  Shadows the Empire was an amazing period in Star Wars history. It's sad that the overall story was just tossed to the side like it was meaningless. I could understand a reworking of certain story elements but just treating it like it never existed was such a blow for me. Thankfully, I will always have the memories and, for now, I have the toys. I didn't have either of these vehicles growing up. I've mentioned in previous blogs how I favored getting multiple figures over a single vehicle when visiting the toy store but that did not mean that I did not want them. Being able to have them now as an adult is still pretty cool.  Slave One We are all well aware of how cool this ship is and the toy is pretty sweet as well. I think my favorite feature is the open up cargo area that helps this ship tread the line between vehicle and playset. Toy Polloi has even designed an insert that you can stick in this area that gives Boba some things to fiddle  with. I also love that it...