Skip to main content

Toy Biz DC Superheroes - Batman, Lex Luthor, and Mr. Freeze

I picked up 3 more from the DC Superheroes line this week: Batman, Mr. Freeze, and Lex Luthor. I had all of these figures as a kid but they all broke in time. It was great to find these again.




I know a lot people prefer the Kenner version of the 89 Batman but I've always preferred this face. It reminds me more of the Filmation and Superfriends Batman face.


As a kid, I foolishly decided to cut the rope on my Batman's belt. Fate has a sense of humor because, when I tested the action feature on this new figure I found that it no longer worked. The rope would not retract. The only solution was to, again, cut the rope. Such is life.



I tied a knot to the other end of the rope so that it could still be useful.




For some reason, a speargun seems more deadly than an actual gun but Batman assures us that it is completely non lethal. I'm pretty sure he gets his hardware from Dr. Heller.


The Dynamic Duo.


My childhood Lex Luthor also had some irony in its life. The much maligned head punching action feature proved its undoing as my figure literally punched his head off. I'll be more careful with him this time around.


Don't mind Lex. He is awaiting a friend.


Love that Kryptonite ring. I didn't realize until I was older that this Lex and this pose was based on the Ruby-Spears Superman series. The one where Lex has a Gene Hackman personality but the voice of G.I. Joe's Duke.


Odd accessories but I guess the handgun can keep the Bat away sense the ring keeps Superman at bay. The handbag on the other hand is anyone's guess. Ill gotten goods? More kryptonite? An overnight bag?



Easily, the coolest villain, literally and figuratively. I like that they kept the Kenner model and colors. The color change feature is also cool. It's just a shame that he doesn't have an accessory besides his helmet. 




A growing gallery of rogues.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Forces/ USS Flagg

Seeing this boxed set a few years ago is what got me back into collecting G.I. Joe. I had passed on the joy of G.I. Joe to my younger brothers, and to its credit, its one of the few franchises that has stuck with them. I don't feel bad about giving them my collection because most of my collections began when my cousins passed them on to me. Plus, with all of the vehicles and playsets, they are a little much to have up and displayed. Finding the Kre-O sets allowed me to keep showing my love for G.I. Joe on a smaller scale.  The fact that it was a Slaughter's Marauders set is was truly sold me. Love the Sarge. So anyways, here are my current Joes. I've already posted a blog about my Cobra collection, which you can find here,  Cobra Forces . After this, I'll make a post on my Iron Grenadiers and the rest of my Vehicles/Playsets. USS Flagg Not an official set. I found this Chinese knock off and modified the cabin so that it could hold figures. Also added...

Transformers Legends Scale Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker

Around the end of the G1 line, Transformers made the Pretenders which produced some smaller versions of some popular bots like Jazz and Starscream that would fit in different shells/skins. In 1989, they re-released these figures without the shells and just called them Legends. In the 2000s, Hasbro decided to bring this scale back with their Robots in Disguise, Transformers Universe, Reveal the Shield and various other lines. Over time, the scale has continuously fluctuated so that it is tough to understand just how different figures will line up. This proved particularly challenging for me when I was searching for an appropriately sized Optimus Prime for my GoBots. Well, now I have added some more Transformers to my collection, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker. They are all about the same size. This bothers me a little bit when it comes to Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but when I put them with Optimus or the GoBots, it all works out pretty ...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Battle Wagon

  G.I. Joe has always had amazing vehicles for your figures to interact with. As the line grew, so did the imaginations of the creators, as each year seemed to provide us with something bigger than the one before. After the U.S.S. Flagg and the Defiant, bigger was no longer an option but that didn't stop G.I. Joe from just going big and bold with their designs.  The 1990s era of the line is not universally loved but they gave us plenty of big vehicles, including the Battle Wagon. The Battle Wagon was heavily marketed as an essential item for Joe fans of the time, especially in the DIC cartoon. Unfortunately, I never had it as a kid. It was a high price tag item and, honestly, I never remember seeing it in stores. When I was in college, my younger brother bought two of them on ebay. Being able to see them in person, I had to agree it was worth the hype that Hasbro put around it. I've now moved away from collecting traditional Joes. I'm older and I want my nephews and nieces ...

Star Wars Power of the Force Shadows of the Empire Vehicles Outrider and Slave One

  Shadows the Empire was an amazing period in Star Wars history. It's sad that the overall story was just tossed to the side like it was meaningless. I could understand a reworking of certain story elements but just treating it like it never existed was such a blow for me. Thankfully, I will always have the memories and, for now, I have the toys. I didn't have either of these vehicles growing up. I've mentioned in previous blogs how I favored getting multiple figures over a single vehicle when visiting the toy store but that did not mean that I did not want them. Being able to have them now as an adult is still pretty cool.  Slave One We are all well aware of how cool this ship is and the toy is pretty sweet as well. I think my favorite feature is the open up cargo area that helps this ship tread the line between vehicle and playset. Toy Polloi has even designed an insert that you can stick in this area that gives Boba some things to fiddle  with. I also love that it...