Skip to main content

GoBots: Guardian Command Center


If there is one thing that gave GoBots a leg up on Transformers it was that they had playsets. They had two official, two unofficial, and one unproduced set. Playsets go a long way with me and if you've followed this blog for awhile that shouldn't be a surprise to you. Probably the most important GoBot playset was the Guardian Command Center. I never had one growing up but I did get a brand new one from Dallas Vintage Toys this week.



There is always a magical feeling when you get something brand new. It is a little bit like time travel for the emotions. Everything here was brand new but unfortunately it had water damage, as you can see in the pictures. This wasn't a huge problem but it did cause me grief in the stickers department. The entire sheet had developed a few layers of grime from dust and being in a water damaged box. I was able to clean it a little bit but some of the stickers were unusable. To compensate I ended up finding some repro stickers from various Star Wars vehicles and playsets online. I like the end result and I might work on adding some more.


The directions were in really bad shape and unsavable. I took pictures of each page before getting rid of them.







The set also included a mini comic. The story inside predates the cartoon but unlike the Masters of the Universe mini comics, this one really didn't improve on the overall story, save for the fact that it gives an explanation for why the GoBots look like Earth vehicles.


The exterior of the Command Center:


Walker mode. This guy is scaled pretty well.



Spaceship mode.




The back hatch.






One of my favorite stickers above the head.

And now the interior:


Trauma Center/Med Bay



The Interrogation Center.



The cool red screen was supposed to help identify Guardians and Renegades. It was a cool concept. The included stickers could be applied to your figures. These were some of the beyond saving stickers unfortunately.


Notice how the top row stickers became F's for Friendly and the bottom row became E's for Enemy. A pretty thoughtful add on that they didn't need to include.



The Detention Center and, yikes, De-Materializer. Guess you could only cross Leader 1 so many times.



Again, yikes, the Reprogramming Center.



Perhaps for the best, the GoBot Cafeteria sticker was damaged.
So this became a computer terminal.



The GoBot Maintenance/Refueling area


I feel like there is a lot of unused space here.
I'm going to try to find some things to add to the area. 
Maybe a maintenance lift.



The Vertical Transportation Module. Again, notice the details here. 
The sticker labels each floor of the Command Center. Pretty cool.


And finally, the Strategic Command/Strategy Center.


I still might add in some more buttons and computers.



All in all, a pretty cool toy. It really bummed me out to have the sticker sheet so dirty, especially because there are not a lot of options to replace them. No one has them scanned online and the only place selling replacements is Toy Hax but $66 is ridiculous. However, they do have Guardian and Renegade insignias that I might pick up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Star Wars Power of the Force Classic Edition 4 Pack

I had no idea this 4 pack existed until a few weeks ago. As I've previously mentioned, my first Star Wars toys were hand me down vintage figures. Later on I would get Bend-ems and the Micro Machines sets, but the vintage figures were my Star Wars figures until Power of the Force 2 came out. Apparently, this pack was released ahead of their arrival in a way to both build anticipation and also create a neat throw back for classic fans. If I had known about this, I would have been ALL over it. I only had Hoth Han Solo and Bespin Luke in my collection at the time so having these versions of the two would have been amazing. I didn't even have a Chewbacca or a Darth Vader, so yeah. I would have bought this. I probably would have bought two, one to open and one to keep as a memento. Star Wars toys were just so rare at the time that the idea of having one complete in package would have been a piece of art for me. I had been watching some of these on ebay for awhile but I finally found ...

Funko Savage World Thundercats Wave 2

2018 was an exciting time for me because we finally received Thundercats in the same scale as Masters of the Universe! It was a dream come true for myself and, I'm sure, many other children of the 80's. The excitement was unfortunately short lived as the factory that Funko worked with screwed up the plastics used on hip articulation. Many figure arrived with broken or soon to be broken crotches and Funko was dealt a pretty serious black eye. However, they worked hard to fix that issue but that also pushed back Wave 2 of Thundercats over a year. During that time, they went ahead with a mass market retail approach for a DC Comics universe in the Savage World style. While there were some nice toys in this line, especially the Bat Cave, the overall appeal to general audiences didn't seem to be there. A lot of planned Savage World lines seemed to get axed because of the gamble not paying off. Thankfully, Thundercats Wave 2 made the cut and began arriving this past quarter...

Vintage Masters of the Universe - Fisto and Kobra Khan

A really cool side effect of the greatness of the MOTUC line is that many are parting with their vintage figures. This week I picked up Fisto and Kobra Khan.  Both of these guys are in really good condition. The Fisto has a slightly off right leg, the band isn't loose but it is starting to pull backwards. Treacherous snakes. He-Man just needs to last long enough for one of these guys to betray the other. Strongest hands in the land. The team up you always needed.  If you're having Mutant problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but this fist ain't one!

Star Wars Power of the Force Shadows of the Empire Vehicles Outrider and Slave One

  Shadows the Empire was an amazing period in Star Wars history. It's sad that the overall story was just tossed to the side like it was meaningless. I could understand a reworking of certain story elements but just treating it like it never existed was such a blow for me. Thankfully, I will always have the memories and, for now, I have the toys. I didn't have either of these vehicles growing up. I've mentioned in previous blogs how I favored getting multiple figures over a single vehicle when visiting the toy store but that did not mean that I did not want them. Being able to have them now as an adult is still pretty cool.  Slave One We are all well aware of how cool this ship is and the toy is pretty sweet as well. I think my favorite feature is the open up cargo area that helps this ship tread the line between vehicle and playset. Toy Polloi has even designed an insert that you can stick in this area that gives Boba some things to fiddle  with. I also love that it...