Skip to main content

GoBots: Crasher, Sparky, Rest-Q


Let's just get it out of the way. Transformers is the better show, series, story, idea, etc. Hasbro and Marvel just really knocked it out of the park. The action, drama, and depth of the franchise is pretty unparalleled. Honestly, outside of Iron Giant, how many companies made you genuinely sad about the death of a robot. Skyfire and Optimus, we're looking at you.

Moving on, I always loved the GoBots toys. I loved their look, their scale, and their articulation. Yes, they rarely came with accessories but they didn't come across as a brick with moving forearms either.

Jamspeed's Toys: Autobot Hound

Sorry, Hound.

And, for better or worse, they almost always looked like their animated counterpart or better. I won't get into Ironhide or Bumblebee because I'm really not try to put down the Transformers. I'm just suggesting that the GoBots definitely had some strengths. They even had playsets and vehicles, which I'll get into later. (How great would it have been to have a playset of the Ark? Think about it.)

I had a few GoBots growing up but the only one that survived through the years was Pathfinder. 

"Do not go gentle into that good night" - Dylan "Pathfinder" Thomas

This year, I decided to begin collecting them again. The first three to arrive were Crasher, Sparky, and Rest-Q. I was really lucky to find a good online seller who didn't overprice the figures based on their popularity. I intend to return to him a few more times. 

Crasher




Crasher, believe it or not, was the cheapest of the three. I found out why when I realized her head and arms did not stay attached in robot mode. Otherwise she was in pristine condition. Especially the decals. I easily reattached her head using a command strip. Since I plan on keeping her in robot mode this was a simple solution. Later on, I might try to get a better version.


Fun observation: In the show, Crasher's power was a stomp that caused an electronic shockwave. The figure's right leg was looser than the left which tells me that whoever played with this figure growing up was well aware of this fact. I respect that. Well done, 80's youngster, well done.

Crasher (GoBots) - WikiAlpha

Sparky




Sparky was one of the figures I had as a child. A cool note about GoBots was that they had A LOT of female characters that were presented on par with the males. It was a lot like G.I. Joe in that regard. Respect.


Rest-Q





Nope, that's not Ratchet, but he does have a head! Sorry, one last shot. Rest-Q might be my favorite of these first three. He just really looks great and has an amazing shine to him. He may be a doctor but this is no Lifeline. Just looking at his face, you get the idea that this Guardian is ready to do some preventative medicine for his comrades.


So, like I said earlier, Transformers is the superior product. To that end, I want to have some that I can mix in with my GoBots. I've been doing a lot of research into Legends class Transformers. The Hasbro products are all just an inch too short. However, a lot of the third party figures are looking good. I have a few on the way to try out. Also, I have found some G1 and G2 that fit in pretty well.




G2 only stands out when in vehicle form




Also, one last somber observation, no one has done a cover of the GoBots theme. That is really odd when you think about it as I have been able to find rock or metal covers of almost any somewhat popular tv show. Just goes to show just how dominant the Transformers were. There must something more than meets the eye about them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Star Wars Power of the Force Classic Edition 4 Pack

I had no idea this 4 pack existed until a few weeks ago. As I've previously mentioned, my first Star Wars toys were hand me down vintage figures. Later on I would get Bend-ems and the Micro Machines sets, but the vintage figures were my Star Wars figures until Power of the Force 2 came out. Apparently, this pack was released ahead of their arrival in a way to both build anticipation and also create a neat throw back for classic fans. If I had known about this, I would have been ALL over it. I only had Hoth Han Solo and Bespin Luke in my collection at the time so having these versions of the two would have been amazing. I didn't even have a Chewbacca or a Darth Vader, so yeah. I would have bought this. I probably would have bought two, one to open and one to keep as a memento. Star Wars toys were just so rare at the time that the idea of having one complete in package would have been a piece of art for me. I had been watching some of these on ebay for awhile but I finally found ...

Transformers Legends Scale Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker

Around the end of the G1 line, Transformers made the Pretenders which produced some smaller versions of some popular bots like Jazz and Starscream that would fit in different shells/skins. In 1989, they re-released these figures without the shells and just called them Legends. In the 2000s, Hasbro decided to bring this scale back with their Robots in Disguise, Transformers Universe, Reveal the Shield and various other lines. Over time, the scale has continuously fluctuated so that it is tough to understand just how different figures will line up. This proved particularly challenging for me when I was searching for an appropriately sized Optimus Prime for my GoBots. Well, now I have added some more Transformers to my collection, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker. They are all about the same size. This bothers me a little bit when it comes to Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but when I put them with Optimus or the GoBots, it all works out pretty ...

Funko Savage World Thundercats Wave 2

2018 was an exciting time for me because we finally received Thundercats in the same scale as Masters of the Universe! It was a dream come true for myself and, I'm sure, many other children of the 80's. The excitement was unfortunately short lived as the factory that Funko worked with screwed up the plastics used on hip articulation. Many figure arrived with broken or soon to be broken crotches and Funko was dealt a pretty serious black eye. However, they worked hard to fix that issue but that also pushed back Wave 2 of Thundercats over a year. During that time, they went ahead with a mass market retail approach for a DC Comics universe in the Savage World style. While there were some nice toys in this line, especially the Bat Cave, the overall appeal to general audiences didn't seem to be there. A lot of planned Savage World lines seemed to get axed because of the gamble not paying off. Thankfully, Thundercats Wave 2 made the cut and began arriving this past quarter...

Vintage Masters of the Universe - Fisto and Kobra Khan

A really cool side effect of the greatness of the MOTUC line is that many are parting with their vintage figures. This week I picked up Fisto and Kobra Khan.  Both of these guys are in really good condition. The Fisto has a slightly off right leg, the band isn't loose but it is starting to pull backwards. Treacherous snakes. He-Man just needs to last long enough for one of these guys to betray the other. Strongest hands in the land. The team up you always needed.  If you're having Mutant problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but this fist ain't one!