Skip to main content

Mega Construx Masters of the Universe - Battle for Eternia 5 Pack

Growing up in the late 80's and early 90's, I was able to enjoy the best of both decades. One of my all time favorites has always been Masters of the Universe. I grew up with the original toys all handed down to me by older cousins and I consumed all else that I could find. Secret of the Sword was a frequent Blockbuster rental at my house. On my 10th Birthday, a friend of mine tracked down a He-Man and Masters of the Universe cartoon VHS tape that I treasured. He even wrapped it in MOTU wrapping paper that I was very sad to have to rip open. I wasn't a fan of the New Adventures cartoon but my brother and I were sure to grab He-Man, Skeletor, and Flipshot from K B Toys. I watched as much of the 2002 series as I could but never was able to finish it until the DVDs were released.

In 2008, I jumped in with everyone else on Masters of the Universe Classics. I was never able to subscribe but I cherry picked more than my fair share and jumped on every Matty Collector holiday sale. At this point, I have more of the figures than I ever thought I would get and beyond the super rares (Fisto), I feel mostly finished with the line. These days, I have mostly focused on lego type figures, due to the size and ease of customizing, so you know that I will be all over this new line from Mega Construx. Frankly, I'm just glad to see Mattel keeping the line out there in various ways.

As to the figures, these things are pretty cool. 


The 5 pack includes He-Man, Teela, Skeletor, Beastman, and Faker. They all come with accessories and display stands.


Another cool feature is a fold up art packet made to resemble the mini comics. When you unfold it, you have one side that features instructions but the other side has a lot of Mini Comic and Carback art. It is a nice little pack in.







Unlike the Power Rangers series, these figures share the Call of Duty and Halo articulation. That means they are super poseable but also more fragile. I can already notice some of the joints feeling loose. The armor is rubbery and mostly removable but also very sturdy. It won't fall off on its own. Skeletor, Faker and He-man's armor all share a space in the back of their armor to hold swords.








The figures are very detailed and have great paint apps. The best thing, however, is the price point - Twenty Dollars for the 5 pack. Even online resellers have it going at $30. Considering the price of a Classics figure these days, this is a big point in the Mega Construx column. I'm very impressed and can't wait to get more. There is also a Wind Raider set with He-Man and Skeletor with different accessories, as well as Man at Arms and Evil-Lyn.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Toy Biz Batman Batmobile

 Recently, I learned that the Toy Biz Batmobile was a two seater! Talk about a game changer. I loved my Kenner Batmobile, it had the engine missile, machine guns, and the pop out/rotating fire effect, but it could only hold Batman. As a 1966 Batman devotee, I always wanted Robin to ride batarang so that he could hear lectures about automobile safety as he approached his 16th birthday. It took a bit of searching but I found a pretty good one in $50 range on Ebay. The stickers were included but I decided not to apply them. I love the chrome features over the gold hubcaps on the Kenner Batmobile. The passenger seat is everything for me with this. The gear shift opens secret missile launchers in the front.  The Bat Trunk was an interesting feature. It has a lot of depth, which I guess can be useful for taking criminals to Arkham, or disposing of their bodies. I guess everyone has competing views of the Caped Crusaders thes...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Forces/ USS Flagg

Seeing this boxed set a few years ago is what got me back into collecting G.I. Joe. I had passed on the joy of G.I. Joe to my younger brothers, and to its credit, its one of the few franchises that has stuck with them. I don't feel bad about giving them my collection because most of my collections began when my cousins passed them on to me. Plus, with all of the vehicles and playsets, they are a little much to have up and displayed. Finding the Kre-O sets allowed me to keep showing my love for G.I. Joe on a smaller scale.  The fact that it was a Slaughter's Marauders set is was truly sold me. Love the Sarge. So anyways, here are my current Joes. I've already posted a blog about my Cobra collection, which you can find here,  Cobra Forces . After this, I'll make a post on my Iron Grenadiers and the rest of my Vehicles/Playsets. USS Flagg Not an official set. I found this Chinese knock off and modified the cabin so that it could hold figures. Also added...

Vintage Masters of the Universe - Fisto and Kobra Khan

A really cool side effect of the greatness of the MOTUC line is that many are parting with their vintage figures. This week I picked up Fisto and Kobra Khan.  Both of these guys are in really good condition. The Fisto has a slightly off right leg, the band isn't loose but it is starting to pull backwards. Treacherous snakes. He-Man just needs to last long enough for one of these guys to betray the other. Strongest hands in the land. The team up you always needed.  If you're having Mutant problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but this fist ain't one!

Star Wars Power of the Force Classic Edition 4 Pack

I had no idea this 4 pack existed until a few weeks ago. As I've previously mentioned, my first Star Wars toys were hand me down vintage figures. Later on I would get Bend-ems and the Micro Machines sets, but the vintage figures were my Star Wars figures until Power of the Force 2 came out. Apparently, this pack was released ahead of their arrival in a way to both build anticipation and also create a neat throw back for classic fans. If I had known about this, I would have been ALL over it. I only had Hoth Han Solo and Bespin Luke in my collection at the time so having these versions of the two would have been amazing. I didn't even have a Chewbacca or a Darth Vader, so yeah. I would have bought this. I probably would have bought two, one to open and one to keep as a memento. Star Wars toys were just so rare at the time that the idea of having one complete in package would have been a piece of art for me. I had been watching some of these on ebay for awhile but I finally found ...