Skip to main content

Vintage Masters of the Universe - Commemorative Man at Arms and Zodac, Horde Trooper, Moss Man, Roboto, Sy-Klone, and Stratos

A new vintage toy shop opened up in my area this week. I'm not going to mention names but I didn't have a great time.

A few weeks ago, a toy shop that I had frequented in the past began to share the posts of a new store that was opening near their location. As the pictures scrolled across my feed, my anticipation began to build. Just the thought of a new vintage toy store gave me the excitement that I used to have when I had birthday money to spend as a child. You know the feeling, it's the joy of open ended opportunities just being a fingertip away.

As the days continued on, my joy began to turn into concern, no price tags. The store was posting lots of great stuff but there wasn't a single price listing to be seen. I don't know about you, but I have always found that disconcerting. I understand that the vintage toy industry has really become a sellers' market these days. I also completely understand that a brick and mortar store has to pay their bills so I already expect to pay a much higher price than I would from an online seller. However, I feel a seller should at least be out in the open about what their expectations are. Either way, I tried to put my worries out of my head and just be ready to enjoy the experience.

The 8 AM alarm went off on my cell phone and I was off to prepare for my journey. The store was about 45 minutes away from my home so I planned my morning around this trip. I printed off shipping labels for my recently sold items on Ebay, dropped them off at the post office, grabbed a McDonalds breakfast and hit the open road.

As I ventured into my destination, I took moment just to smile while my eyes took in the hundreds of great memories that hung across the walls: G.I. Joe, Silverhawks, Star Wars, Toy Biz Marvel, Transformers, and, my quarry for the day, Masters of the Universe.

Complete in Box Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, and the Fright Zone.

Loose but complete Eternia.

Lots of carded 200X and some loose vintage.

I walked up to the owner, shook his hand, and thanked him for bringing us a new shop. It's a risky venture and I truly appreciated him for it. Then, I took some time just to walk around and admire the memories before zeroing in on things I would want to purchase. After narrowing it down, I asked the man in charge how much he was expecting for certain things. Some prices I expected and some surprised me, but there were a few I genuinely liked.

He also had some things that were being sold by his co-owner but he went ahead and gave me a price that I agreed with but I had to wait for his partner to come in to the shop. I browsed a few minutes more before he also arrived. The two owners chatted about business a moment before he motioned his partner my way. He let him know that I was interested in purchasing one of his items and then quoted a price that was double what he told me.

It took a moment for that to sink in. I kindly asked if he misspoke and reminded him of the price he gave me. He laughingly shook his head and disagreed. I apologized, mentioning that I must have misheard. I went ahead and purchased two loose figures instead and decided to try my luck at the neighboring stores.

Now, maybe it was an honest mistake and maybe he was trying to intentionally snag me with a switch up. Either way, my thoughts went right back to my ill at ease concerns from earlier. I don't think I will be doing business with this gentleman again.

On to some more positive news, the other shops had some great finds - including mint on card commemorative figures! I decided to spend the exact amount I had intended at the new shop with the more intentionally honest store. I am very glad that I did because the owner mentioned that he had some more MOTU stuff in the back that he was going to bring up in the next few weeks.

My buys:

 - Commemorative Man at Arms and Zodac











Master Mechanics


Brothers in Arms


Cosmic Rivals


I know some people might be upset with me for opening these up but I've never been a mint on card collector. Now had these been original 82s, I wouldn't have even purchased them. Am I a monster? Maybe, but I'm not completely awful. I don't know why, but the fact that these came with a warranty just kind of makes me chuckle.


- Loose Roboto, Sy-Klone, Moss Man, Stratos, and Horde Trooper







The life we save.






A bit of the old 200X ultra violence? Honestly, this blaster was way too heavy for the MOTUC Man at Arms. I might try to get a true 200X version and see how compatible it is with this vintage Man at Arms.


Heroic Warriors?


Or Masters of the Universe?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Star Wars Power of the Force Classic Edition 4 Pack

I had no idea this 4 pack existed until a few weeks ago. As I've previously mentioned, my first Star Wars toys were hand me down vintage figures. Later on I would get Bend-ems and the Micro Machines sets, but the vintage figures were my Star Wars figures until Power of the Force 2 came out. Apparently, this pack was released ahead of their arrival in a way to both build anticipation and also create a neat throw back for classic fans. If I had known about this, I would have been ALL over it. I only had Hoth Han Solo and Bespin Luke in my collection at the time so having these versions of the two would have been amazing. I didn't even have a Chewbacca or a Darth Vader, so yeah. I would have bought this. I probably would have bought two, one to open and one to keep as a memento. Star Wars toys were just so rare at the time that the idea of having one complete in package would have been a piece of art for me. I had been watching some of these on ebay for awhile but I finally found ...

Transformers Legends Scale Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker

Around the end of the G1 line, Transformers made the Pretenders which produced some smaller versions of some popular bots like Jazz and Starscream that would fit in different shells/skins. In 1989, they re-released these figures without the shells and just called them Legends. In the 2000s, Hasbro decided to bring this scale back with their Robots in Disguise, Transformers Universe, Reveal the Shield and various other lines. Over time, the scale has continuously fluctuated so that it is tough to understand just how different figures will line up. This proved particularly challenging for me when I was searching for an appropriately sized Optimus Prime for my GoBots. Well, now I have added some more Transformers to my collection, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker. They are all about the same size. This bothers me a little bit when it comes to Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but when I put them with Optimus or the GoBots, it all works out pretty ...

Funko Savage World Thundercats Wave 2

2018 was an exciting time for me because we finally received Thundercats in the same scale as Masters of the Universe! It was a dream come true for myself and, I'm sure, many other children of the 80's. The excitement was unfortunately short lived as the factory that Funko worked with screwed up the plastics used on hip articulation. Many figure arrived with broken or soon to be broken crotches and Funko was dealt a pretty serious black eye. However, they worked hard to fix that issue but that also pushed back Wave 2 of Thundercats over a year. During that time, they went ahead with a mass market retail approach for a DC Comics universe in the Savage World style. While there were some nice toys in this line, especially the Bat Cave, the overall appeal to general audiences didn't seem to be there. A lot of planned Savage World lines seemed to get axed because of the gamble not paying off. Thankfully, Thundercats Wave 2 made the cut and began arriving this past quarter...

Vintage Masters of the Universe - Fisto and Kobra Khan

A really cool side effect of the greatness of the MOTUC line is that many are parting with their vintage figures. This week I picked up Fisto and Kobra Khan.  Both of these guys are in really good condition. The Fisto has a slightly off right leg, the band isn't loose but it is starting to pull backwards. Treacherous snakes. He-Man just needs to last long enough for one of these guys to betray the other. Strongest hands in the land. The team up you always needed.  If you're having Mutant problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but this fist ain't one!