Skip to main content

Spirit of Jaga Custom and other repurposed DC Primal Age Figures


Funko went for the fences when they took on the DC license for their Savage World line. We all know the story of how that went down so I won't meander in it further. A lot of the figures have stood out to me and I have been looking for ways to utilize them in my MOTU/Thundercats/Fantasy figure collection. 

Previously, I made a post about the Batcave playset and how I now use it for Castle Plundar. Months later, it is still a great set. Now, I've been getting more of the figures. First let's look at King Shark.

Image result for DC Primal Age king shark
(Amazon stock photo)

I'm actually embarrassed it took me this long, but I finally realized he would be a great addition to the Mutants. I didn't want to keep the DC name but I also didn't want to go with Sharkian (Jackalman, Monkian, Vultureman). I always appreciated that Ssslythe had a name that had nothing to do with his species but more to do with his character. He is a slimy, slow moving manipulator. The name gives that off. So I renamed King Shark as Jaws. I know, not original, but it fits the character I want him to have, forceful and aggressive.


I got him dirt cheap on Amazon, knowing full well that I would have to perform crotch surgery. Scarecrows are also dirt cheap right now, and, keep it a secret, they are great crotch donors.



And speaking of Scarecrows, I really fell in the love with the look of this figure and decided that he could be a great army builder. In my head canon, the Ancient Spirits of Evil have raised this undead army to aid Mumm Ra in his quest to claim the Eye of the Thundera.




On the good guy side of things, Aquaman also stands out in that he doesn't necessarily scream super hero when viewing him and totally seems like a character that Conan could come across. That is like the seal of approval for me.


Traded out the trident for the Mr. Freeze sword and renamed him the Sea Lord. Personality wise, think Namor without the lust. Totally pompous, self important, and distrustful but with a heart for good. Makes a great juxtaposition to Lion-O.

And speaking of Mr. Freeze, I got my hands on the New York Comic Con translucent Mr Freeze.

(Amazon stock photo)

After trimming his loincloth, reshaping his helmet and adding some clear blue plastic tablecloth, he works well as the spirit of Jaga.




I have some more ideas in the works but I wanted to get these out there. Maybe if we clear out the remaining stock, Funko will see that there is a sizable group of customers for this scale of figure. Just don't go full DC Primal Age again. Stay small. Stay online. Give us more Thundercats. Give us CONAN. Give us Thundarr the Barbarian. Give us the Beastmaster. You make it, we'll buy it. I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement MOTU leg connectors by Rama and Amos Del Retro

Back in February, I came across a post on one of the Masters of the Universe Facebook fan pages about replacement leg connectors from a group in Argentina. I had already known about the screw and o-ring method, thanks to He-Bro -  http://he-man.us/Innovations/BrokenLegs.html , and I had used it on a broken Teela earlier this year. It worked well but it doesn't feel permanent. I have a feeling that I will have to replace that sometime soon in the near future. Plus, I am having to actually damage the figure by screwing eye hooks in their legs. Anyway, these new leg connectors felt like something worth looking into. If you go to their website, www.stands-rama.com , they have a tutorial posted on how these work: Now, my spanish isn't great but I kind of got the idea of how these work. Heat the legs, push the connectors through the crotch and attach. Seems easy enough. I searched for some more tutorials and found this one from Toy Palloi: And this one from Michael Mercy:

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016

When you become an adult and take up a career, you find that it is harder to keep up with everything going on in the world. When you are a teacher, this becomes next to impossible. That is why I am again in a situation where I found out about a toy line that I like after it has already been axed. This week's victim - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Mega Bloks (Construx), 2016. Mega has had many goes with different eras of Power Rangers but none of them ever appealed to me by design or by the content. However, discovering the Mighty Morphin variety of Rangers was a sweet surprise this Christmas. I was 7 years old when this brand entered my life. I vividly remember seeing the first teaser for the show on television and running outside and pretending to be these characters before I knew anything about it. There was a certain energy to the series that had a captivating power over we children of the early 90's. Which is why 7 year old me was running around shouting, "Tyrann

Toy Biz DC Superheroes Flash v2, Hawkman, Two Face

I started getting back into the DC Superheroes line early last year. Even though the Kenner Super Powers line is superior in a lot of ways, this line has a nostalgic value for me. Recently, I was able to add three more figures to my collection: Hawkman, Two Face, and the second version of the Flash! Version 2 is a HUGE upgrade over Version 1. V2 Flash doesn't rely on a wind up action feature so it actually has arm articulation. Now Flash can actually do some better posing... let alone throw a punch! V2 Flash also comes with a Quicksilver/Silver Surfer-esqe platform. It even moves forward on its own if you pull it backwards.  Toy Biz vs Kenner. The Kenner figure is obviously the better choice. Just one look at his weapon and his head sculpt and that is obvious. However, there is a dumb charm to the Toy Biz figure and I'm happy to have him. I really like this Two Face figure. He has a winding feature for flipping his

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Updated pics + Custom Tiger Zord

  A few years ago, I came across the Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers line on Amazon and went all in.  The result was this blog and even my twitter account  @BeyondUbernerd .  Over the years, though, there was still one zord that I was missing, the Tigerzord. Using an extra Saber Tooth  Tiger, I finally filled that void. And since I was already taking pictures, I decided to go ahead and take new pictures of the rest of the zords. And then, of course a shot of the bad guys. I'd still like to make an Ivan Ooze and a Scorpina at some point. I still have the Megazord, my stand in for Titanus, and my custom Serpentera but they were too large for camera shots I was doing at the time. I'll work on getting new pictures of them in the future. 

Kenner Batman Returns Catwoman and Penguin Umbrella Jet

Trying to build onto my budding DC Superheroes collection, I decided to look back into the Kenner Batman film toy lines. According to the online perusing I have been able to do recently, I found out that the Batman Returns Catwoman is actually the final product from the concept that had been worked on during the Super Powers line. I didn't need much convincing after that to try to pick the figure up. Getting this in hand, I'm reminded of all of the black and neon Batman Returns merchandise at the time. It was pretty awesome. Googling, I tried to find a picture of a Penguin backpack I had as a kid. I wasn't able to find it but I did find this similar Batman one. Pretty cool. It is interesting that Kenner included Selena's taser as her weapon. The taser scenes were some of the more disturbing moments from a very disturbing film. I think I am more surprised that they actually labeled it as a taser and not try to play it off as something else and jus