Skip to main content

Spirit of Jaga Custom and other repurposed DC Primal Age Figures


Funko went for the fences when they took on the DC license for their Savage World line. We all know the story of how that went down so I won't meander in it further. A lot of the figures have stood out to me and I have been looking for ways to utilize them in my MOTU/Thundercats/Fantasy figure collection. 

Previously, I made a post about the Batcave playset and how I now use it for Castle Plundar. Months later, it is still a great set. Now, I've been getting more of the figures. First let's look at King Shark.

Image result for DC Primal Age king shark
(Amazon stock photo)

I'm actually embarrassed it took me this long, but I finally realized he would be a great addition to the Mutants. I didn't want to keep the DC name but I also didn't want to go with Sharkian (Jackalman, Monkian, Vultureman). I always appreciated that Ssslythe had a name that had nothing to do with his species but more to do with his character. He is a slimy, slow moving manipulator. The name gives that off. So I renamed King Shark as Jaws. I know, not original, but it fits the character I want him to have, forceful and aggressive.


I got him dirt cheap on Amazon, knowing full well that I would have to perform crotch surgery. Scarecrows are also dirt cheap right now, and, keep it a secret, they are great crotch donors.



And speaking of Scarecrows, I really fell in the love with the look of this figure and decided that he could be a great army builder. In my head canon, the Ancient Spirits of Evil have raised this undead army to aid Mumm Ra in his quest to claim the Eye of the Thundera.




On the good guy side of things, Aquaman also stands out in that he doesn't necessarily scream super hero when viewing him and totally seems like a character that Conan could come across. That is like the seal of approval for me.


Traded out the trident for the Mr. Freeze sword and renamed him the Sea Lord. Personality wise, think Namor without the lust. Totally pompous, self important, and distrustful but with a heart for good. Makes a great juxtaposition to Lion-O.

And speaking of Mr. Freeze, I got my hands on the New York Comic Con translucent Mr Freeze.

(Amazon stock photo)

After trimming his loincloth, reshaping his helmet and adding some clear blue plastic tablecloth, he works well as the spirit of Jaga.




I have some more ideas in the works but I wanted to get these out there. Maybe if we clear out the remaining stock, Funko will see that there is a sizable group of customers for this scale of figure. Just don't go full DC Primal Age again. Stay small. Stay online. Give us more Thundercats. Give us CONAN. Give us Thundarr the Barbarian. Give us the Beastmaster. You make it, we'll buy it. I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funko Savage World Thundercats Wave 2

2018 was an exciting time for me because we finally received Thundercats in the same scale as Masters of the Universe! It was a dream come true for myself and, I'm sure, many other children of the 80's. The excitement was unfortunately short lived as the factory that Funko worked with screwed up the plastics used on hip articulation. Many figure arrived with broken or soon to be broken crotches and Funko was dealt a pretty serious black eye. However, they worked hard to fix that issue but that also pushed back Wave 2 of Thundercats over a year. During that time, they went ahead with a mass market retail approach for a DC Comics universe in the Savage World style. While there were some nice toys in this line, especially the Bat Cave, the overall appeal to general audiences didn't seem to be there. A lot of planned Savage World lines seemed to get axed because of the gamble not paying off. Thankfully, Thundercats Wave 2 made the cut and began arriving this past quarter...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Forces/ USS Flagg

Seeing this boxed set a few years ago is what got me back into collecting G.I. Joe. I had passed on the joy of G.I. Joe to my younger brothers, and to its credit, its one of the few franchises that has stuck with them. I don't feel bad about giving them my collection because most of my collections began when my cousins passed them on to me. Plus, with all of the vehicles and playsets, they are a little much to have up and displayed. Finding the Kre-O sets allowed me to keep showing my love for G.I. Joe on a smaller scale.  The fact that it was a Slaughter's Marauders set is was truly sold me. Love the Sarge. So anyways, here are my current Joes. I've already posted a blog about my Cobra collection, which you can find here,  Cobra Forces . After this, I'll make a post on my Iron Grenadiers and the rest of my Vehicles/Playsets. USS Flagg Not an official set. I found this Chinese knock off and modified the cabin so that it could hold figures. Also added...

Transformers Legends Scale Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker

Around the end of the G1 line, Transformers made the Pretenders which produced some smaller versions of some popular bots like Jazz and Starscream that would fit in different shells/skins. In 1989, they re-released these figures without the shells and just called them Legends. In the 2000s, Hasbro decided to bring this scale back with their Robots in Disguise, Transformers Universe, Reveal the Shield and various other lines. Over time, the scale has continuously fluctuated so that it is tough to understand just how different figures will line up. This proved particularly challenging for me when I was searching for an appropriately sized Optimus Prime for my GoBots. Well, now I have added some more Transformers to my collection, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker. They are all about the same size. This bothers me a little bit when it comes to Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but when I put them with Optimus or the GoBots, it all works out pretty ...

Custom Kenner Super Powers/Toy Biz DC Superheroes Nuclear Man (Superman IV)

I'm an unashamed fan of Superman IV. It probably goes back to the fact that it used to air on TBS all the time when I was kid. It might also be because I'm a fan of bad movies in general (Masters of the Universe, Flash Gordon, Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat, I'm looking at you). With all that in mind, I've always wanted a Nuclear Man action figure. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want the guy who slammed Supes feet first into the moon?! As a collector of the Toy Biz DC Superheroes line, I noticed that it is decidedly empty on the Superman side when it comes to baddies. Earlier this year, I was able to pick up a custom Cyborg Superman. Well, now I am happy to say that thanks to  37 Customs  I have added Nuclear Man to my Legion of Doom! "Do you know what this means, Uncle Lex? We're parents!" - Lenny Luthor Between the Kryptonite and Nuclear man, Lex is secure in his position atop the Legion of Doom. Twice the dange...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Battle Wagon

  G.I. Joe has always had amazing vehicles for your figures to interact with. As the line grew, so did the imaginations of the creators, as each year seemed to provide us with something bigger than the one before. After the U.S.S. Flagg and the Defiant, bigger was no longer an option but that didn't stop G.I. Joe from just going big and bold with their designs.  The 1990s era of the line is not universally loved but they gave us plenty of big vehicles, including the Battle Wagon. The Battle Wagon was heavily marketed as an essential item for Joe fans of the time, especially in the DIC cartoon. Unfortunately, I never had it as a kid. It was a high price tag item and, honestly, I never remember seeing it in stores. When I was in college, my younger brother bought two of them on ebay. Being able to see them in person, I had to agree it was worth the hype that Hasbro put around it. I've now moved away from collecting traditional Joes. I'm older and I want my nephews and nieces ...