Skip to main content

Kre-O G.I. Joe Custom Overlord and Dictator


When I was a kid, I lost more than my fair share of G.I. Joes. Two however, have stuck in my memory because of how much I enjoyed playing with them. 

The first wasn't even truly a G.I. Joe. He was from the U.S. Forces line by Remco: Tigerclaw.


The second, wasn't a G.I. Joe either, he was a Cobra: Overlord.


Obviously, I had a thing for masked characters with claws. 

Anyway, I'd been wanting to add Overlord to my Kre-O collection. I tried making his original look but every combination of parts I tried just didn't appeal to me like the original figure. However, something happened today as I stared at my piles of spare parts. I still wasn't sure what I had in mind as my hands instinctively connected pieces but once they were finished I realized what I had done.

I had combined Overlord and Tigerclaw together.


Once that happened, my brain caught fire with ideas for who this version of Overlord was to be. Instead of being some random soldier making a play for the lead of Cobra, Overlord is now Cobra's lead jungle agent and has a similar standing to that of Major Bludd.




Whether cutting deals and sealing ties with third world dictators or protecting deep jungle science labs, Overlord will be there to further Cobra's interests.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016 - Lord Zedd and Custom Squatt

So, 29 Blind Bags later, I completed the official collection with Lord Zedd. I've really enjoyed this series. Sure it is not the most detailed or articulated but there is just a certain fun factor that radiates from these figures. And now that it is complete, my focus has turned to what customs I can create. I've already posted about Rita Repulsa. By Zedd, she looks pretty great. Now I've added another custom with Squatt. It was challenging finding which lego pieces would best reflect the character. Here are my current Evil Space Alien leaders. I still have a few more in the works.

Toy Biz Marvel Superheroes The Thing

Christmas time this year saw some great additions to my Toy Biz Marvel Superheroes collection. This time in the form of the Thing. The Human Torch was one of the first MSH's I owned as a kid. Six years ago, I was able to add Mr. Fantastic. This past year, I added the Invisible Woman but now the collection is complete! Ol' Blue Eyes If you can't smash the Yancy Street gang, might as well clobber their sign. The family is finally together! You don't want to be on the other side of this fight. Size comparison of my current heavy hitters.

GoBots: Crasher, Sparky, Rest-Q

Let's just get it out of the way. Transformers is the better show, series, story, idea, etc. Hasbro and Marvel just really knocked it out of the park. The action, drama, and depth of the franchise is pretty unparalleled. Honestly, outside of Iron Giant, how many companies made you genuinely sad about the death of a robot. Skyfire and Optimus, we're looking at you. Moving on, I always loved the GoBots toys. I loved their look, their scale, and their articulation. Yes, they rarely came with accessories but they didn't come across as a brick with moving forearms either. Sorry, Hound. And, for better or worse, they almost always looked like their animated counterpart or better. I won't get into Ironhide or Bumblebee because I'm really not try to put down the Transformers. I'm just suggesting that the GoBots definitely had some strengths. They even had playsets and vehicles, which I'll get into later. (How great would it have been to have a pl...

Kenner Silverhawks

Around 1990, my family moved to Indiana, near my mom's hometown. Every so often, we would go shopping at the local mall with my Grandparents. During that first year, we visited Kay Bee Toys and they had a giant lot of Silverhawks that they were liquidating. At this time, neither my brother or I really knew what they were but we were immediately captivated by what we saw. We walked out of the store that day with Quicksilver, Flashback, Mon*Star, Mumbo Jumbo, Buzz Saw, Mo-Lec-U-Lar, and the giant Tallyhawk. Not a bad haul at all!  Even without knowing the backstory, we really enjoyed these figures. My mom was really great at keeping her finger on the pulse of what interested us and always kept an eye out for things that would fit the bill. Not much later, she found a Silverhawks coloring book that covered the story of Darkbird. This book was my first real introduction to the world of Silverhawks. I broke my childhood Quicksilver but kept the other figures in pretty...

Mega Construx MOTU Castle Grayskull

So, I finally picked up the Mega Construx Castle Grayskull. Amazon had it listed for $189 so I jumped on it. One bit of sad news, I like keeping box art but Amazon has a hassle-free shipping service where they just ship the box as is. I love Amazon but I am not a fan of this service as they put shipping labels all over the front of the box, ruining it. Luckily, the inside of the box delivered something even better... How cool is that? So everything worked out in the end. The packaging by Mega Construx is actually very cool. All of the pieces to the Castle came in these great cardboard boxes... Again, very cool. The vintage cross sell on the covers was a very nice touch. The manual included all of the cover art inserted throughout so if you wanted to toss the box, you didn't have to feel bad about it. Speaking of the manual, this guy was a beast. Look at that thickness! Mega Construx wasn't joking with this thing, it took me two days to complete wi...