Skip to main content

Star Wars Power of the Force Wave 5 Collection


Wave 5 was the second biggest wave of the Red Card collection but it was a pretty odd grouping of figures. Instead of continuing on with Return of the Jedi, it went back to A New Hope. And, honestly, being in Episode IV is the only connection these figures have. They don't even all show up in the same scene. We get two army builder figures of what could be considered tribes of Tatooine (however, The Mandalorian has shifted my mindset on Jawas being local to the planet), two figures that have a merchandise/owner relationship, a background character from the Cantina, and a main character from a completely different setting.

Momaw Nadon


Momaw Nadon was one of my favorite figures when this wave came out. His file card listed him as a member of the Rebellion and he came with a huge gun. In my mind, this guy was a deep Rebel spy sowing the seeds of their cause on Tatooine. Later I found out he was an exiled gardener. I mean, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. And learning about their war throats from Clone Wars makes him even cooler!




R5-D4


I did not have this toy back in the day and I did not want it. My best friend Jon owned it and I was disgusted with the whole pop out missile gimmick. I would have been much more happy with a simple R2 like design. However, as I look back on it, it was a pretty creative way to add some playability to R5's bad motivator. It's one thing to have a droid that blows up, it's another thing to have a droid that can kill everything in the area!




Jawas


The Jawas came in a 2 pack and had light tube eyes. What more needs to be said? So cool!


Tusken Raider


The Tusken Raider has definitely risen in popularity these days thanks to the Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett. Both series have done a great job in presenting these nomads as far more than grumpy desert dwellers or inhumane beasts. We now see them as noble and proud though it is hinted that not all tribes share the same values. I'll definitely be adding more Tuskens to my collection, especially since they can claim a familial relationship with Boba Fett.





Stormtrooper Disguise Luke


Stormtrooper Han was my first 'modern' Star Wars figure so getting this Luke just completes the package. Running around the Death Star was my second favorite sequence of A New Hope so being able to recreate these scenes was a lot of fun!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Forces/ USS Flagg

Seeing this boxed set a few years ago is what got me back into collecting G.I. Joe. I had passed on the joy of G.I. Joe to my younger brothers, and to its credit, its one of the few franchises that has stuck with them. I don't feel bad about giving them my collection because most of my collections began when my cousins passed them on to me. Plus, with all of the vehicles and playsets, they are a little much to have up and displayed. Finding the Kre-O sets allowed me to keep showing my love for G.I. Joe on a smaller scale.  The fact that it was a Slaughter's Marauders set is was truly sold me. Love the Sarge. So anyways, here are my current Joes. I've already posted a blog about my Cobra collection, which you can find here,  Cobra Forces . After this, I'll make a post on my Iron Grenadiers and the rest of my Vehicles/Playsets. USS Flagg Not an official set. I found this Chinese knock off and modified the cabin so that it could hold figures. Also added...

Transformers Legends Scale Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker

Around the end of the G1 line, Transformers made the Pretenders which produced some smaller versions of some popular bots like Jazz and Starscream that would fit in different shells/skins. In 1989, they re-released these figures without the shells and just called them Legends. In the 2000s, Hasbro decided to bring this scale back with their Robots in Disguise, Transformers Universe, Reveal the Shield and various other lines. Over time, the scale has continuously fluctuated so that it is tough to understand just how different figures will line up. This proved particularly challenging for me when I was searching for an appropriately sized Optimus Prime for my GoBots. Well, now I have added some more Transformers to my collection, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker. They are all about the same size. This bothers me a little bit when it comes to Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but when I put them with Optimus or the GoBots, it all works out pretty ...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Battle Wagon

  G.I. Joe has always had amazing vehicles for your figures to interact with. As the line grew, so did the imaginations of the creators, as each year seemed to provide us with something bigger than the one before. After the U.S.S. Flagg and the Defiant, bigger was no longer an option but that didn't stop G.I. Joe from just going big and bold with their designs.  The 1990s era of the line is not universally loved but they gave us plenty of big vehicles, including the Battle Wagon. The Battle Wagon was heavily marketed as an essential item for Joe fans of the time, especially in the DIC cartoon. Unfortunately, I never had it as a kid. It was a high price tag item and, honestly, I never remember seeing it in stores. When I was in college, my younger brother bought two of them on ebay. Being able to see them in person, I had to agree it was worth the hype that Hasbro put around it. I've now moved away from collecting traditional Joes. I'm older and I want my nephews and nieces ...

Star Wars Power of the Force Shadows of the Empire Vehicles Outrider and Slave One

  Shadows the Empire was an amazing period in Star Wars history. It's sad that the overall story was just tossed to the side like it was meaningless. I could understand a reworking of certain story elements but just treating it like it never existed was such a blow for me. Thankfully, I will always have the memories and, for now, I have the toys. I didn't have either of these vehicles growing up. I've mentioned in previous blogs how I favored getting multiple figures over a single vehicle when visiting the toy store but that did not mean that I did not want them. Being able to have them now as an adult is still pretty cool.  Slave One We are all well aware of how cool this ship is and the toy is pretty sweet as well. I think my favorite feature is the open up cargo area that helps this ship tread the line between vehicle and playset. Toy Polloi has even designed an insert that you can stick in this area that gives Boba some things to fiddle  with. I also love that it...