Skip to main content

Star Wars Vintage The Mandalorian Wave 1


I don't need to tell anyone reading this anything about the Mandalorian, so let's get to the toys. As a fan of the Vintage and Power of the Force 2 era style of toys, I was pretty excited to find out about the Retro style figures being made. Wave 1 is pretty great, I only wish that we had more characters. Wave 2 will be here soon but it also is focusing on big names. As a fan of B list Star Wars characters, I'm slightly nervous that some figures won't make it into this line. Despite that, I plan on getting everyone that I can. I have spoken.

Greef Karga


Carl Weathers was a great bit of casting. Not only because he is such a great actor but because many of us know him from the late 70's and 80's, the same era that gave us Star Wars. In a show that is trying to bring us back to the Original Trilogy timeline, Weathers becomes a bridge of nostalgia.


Cara Dune


Cara was my favorite secondary character in this series. As someone who always identified more with the cause of the Rebellion versus the story of the Jedi, her backstory had strong appeal for me. The loss of Alderaan was one of the first evils we saw the Empire perpetrate. Cara takes us right back to that point when a million voices cried out and were suddenly silenced. 


IG-11

Wow, this show set out to devastate us emotionally. IG's new programming and eventual sacrifice was powerful but not as powerful as that of his master's.



Kuiil

Kuiil. Sigh. This Nick Nolte voiced puppet worked his way quickly into our hearts with his straightforward nature and value system. His death taught us to live second by second in the world of the Mandalorian.



Moff Gideon

Our big bad. Calm, suave, and assured, Moff Gideon is our final proof that the Empire is not as dead as we thought. He not only serves as our source of agitation, he is the connective tissue to all of our eventual Mando allies. His service as an ISB officer gives him intimate knowledge on all of our heroes. He even named the Mandalorian for us. His role in the Great Purge that we finally saw a glimpse of in The Book of Boba Fett shows just how ruthless our enemy will prove to be. He might currently be imprisoned, I have little doubt that his threat is far from removed.


The Mandalorian


Our nameless, faceless, emotionless space cowboy has sure grown on us. The journey into discovering just who our hero truly is has been amazing and emotional. We now know who he is and what he was but the true journey will be discovering what he will be. The Book of Boba Fett has shown us a reflection of the Mandalorian with Boba himself. He was the original best of the best Bounty Hunter and now we see him on his journey to become something better/more. If Boba can move from bounty hunter to, what I assume will be, ruler of Tatooine, I can only imagine what our story has in store for Din Djarin.  




The Child


The money maker. The mascot. The fuel for change in the life of the Mandalorian. This little guy has worked his way into all of our hearts and wallets. Honestly, he probably changed the fortunes for Disney Star Wars in ways they could only have hoped. And it's not for nothing. This Gizmo the Gremlin inspired green guy can melt the hardest of hearts. And he may have started as just a plot device, we now have seen him becoming very much a character in his own right with his own choices to make. And wow, what a choice he has been tasked with (as of this writing).






Some final photos for fun and comparison :)























 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamerztek 8-Bit HD and Gaming Relics custom cases

I'm still a fan of retro video games which probably doesn't surprise anyone since I still collect retro toys. When I play, I normally use the Retron 5 as my console because I love being able to save my progress at any point while using my cartridges. However, Retron 5 doesn't recognize a lot of multicarts and it also can't load game cheats for homebrews or game hacks. To compensate, I had been using Retro Bit's Retro Trio with an upscaler for HDMI. Its a great system and worked well but I decided it was time to upgrade to a console with a better HDMI output. After doing my online research, I decided to go with the 8-Bit HD. These are not the best screenshots as it is just me using my phone but I was blown away by the difference this made. Everything was very crisp. The console itself is very cheap. I bought it on Amazon for $30. It appears that I got the last one but I'm sharing the link for when they restock. Its also available in a lot of other pla...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Forces/ USS Flagg

Seeing this boxed set a few years ago is what got me back into collecting G.I. Joe. I had passed on the joy of G.I. Joe to my younger brothers, and to its credit, its one of the few franchises that has stuck with them. I don't feel bad about giving them my collection because most of my collections began when my cousins passed them on to me. Plus, with all of the vehicles and playsets, they are a little much to have up and displayed. Finding the Kre-O sets allowed me to keep showing my love for G.I. Joe on a smaller scale.  The fact that it was a Slaughter's Marauders set is was truly sold me. Love the Sarge. So anyways, here are my current Joes. I've already posted a blog about my Cobra collection, which you can find here,  Cobra Forces . After this, I'll make a post on my Iron Grenadiers and the rest of my Vehicles/Playsets. USS Flagg Not an official set. I found this Chinese knock off and modified the cabin so that it could hold figures. Also added...

Transformers Legends Scale Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker

Around the end of the G1 line, Transformers made the Pretenders which produced some smaller versions of some popular bots like Jazz and Starscream that would fit in different shells/skins. In 1989, they re-released these figures without the shells and just called them Legends. In the 2000s, Hasbro decided to bring this scale back with their Robots in Disguise, Transformers Universe, Reveal the Shield and various other lines. Over time, the scale has continuously fluctuated so that it is tough to understand just how different figures will line up. This proved particularly challenging for me when I was searching for an appropriately sized Optimus Prime for my GoBots. Well, now I have added some more Transformers to my collection, Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Thundercracker. They are all about the same size. This bothers me a little bit when it comes to Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but when I put them with Optimus or the GoBots, it all works out pretty ...

Custom Kenner Super Powers/Toy Biz DC Superheroes Nuclear Man (Superman IV)

I'm an unashamed fan of Superman IV. It probably goes back to the fact that it used to air on TBS all the time when I was kid. It might also be because I'm a fan of bad movies in general (Masters of the Universe, Flash Gordon, Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat, I'm looking at you). With all that in mind, I've always wanted a Nuclear Man action figure. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want the guy who slammed Supes feet first into the moon?! As a collector of the Toy Biz DC Superheroes line, I noticed that it is decidedly empty on the Superman side when it comes to baddies. Earlier this year, I was able to pick up a custom Cyborg Superman. Well, now I am happy to say that thanks to  37 Customs  I have added Nuclear Man to my Legion of Doom! "Do you know what this means, Uncle Lex? We're parents!" - Lenny Luthor Between the Kryptonite and Nuclear man, Lex is secure in his position atop the Legion of Doom. Twice the dange...

Kre-O G.I. Joe Battle Wagon

  G.I. Joe has always had amazing vehicles for your figures to interact with. As the line grew, so did the imaginations of the creators, as each year seemed to provide us with something bigger than the one before. After the U.S.S. Flagg and the Defiant, bigger was no longer an option but that didn't stop G.I. Joe from just going big and bold with their designs.  The 1990s era of the line is not universally loved but they gave us plenty of big vehicles, including the Battle Wagon. The Battle Wagon was heavily marketed as an essential item for Joe fans of the time, especially in the DIC cartoon. Unfortunately, I never had it as a kid. It was a high price tag item and, honestly, I never remember seeing it in stores. When I was in college, my younger brother bought two of them on ebay. Being able to see them in person, I had to agree it was worth the hype that Hasbro put around it. I've now moved away from collecting traditional Joes. I'm older and I want my nephews and nieces ...