Skip to main content

Mega Construx MOTU - Wind Raider, SDCC Battle Bones, Man at Arms and Evil Lyn



I'm always sold on when a toy line is offered in a similar way to lego. I have the Mega Construx Power Rangers, the Kre-O G.I. Joe series (that I will showcase at some point) and now I have added Masters of the Universe to my collection. Previously, I purchased and did an entry covering the Heroes of Eternia 5 pack but over the summer I have stocked up on their other offerings.

1 - The Wind Raider (w/ alternate He-Man and Skeletor)


At $20, this is a really nice set. The Wind Raider is supremely well built, detailed, and articulated. It has all of the same action features as the vintage vehicle as well - winch, wheels, wings, tail fin. It is very sturdy. I know a lot of people worry about that when it comes to non lego brands, but this thing holds together well.









V1 and V2 He-Man. Only differences are in the coloring of the harness and weapons. V1 has the Powersword and Shield in light grey. V2 has the Battle Axe in a silvery color.


V1 Skeletor is barefoot with the havoc staff. V2 has the boots and his version of the Powersword.


The scale is perfect. I know that with the Kre-O Joes line, some of the vehicles came off a little small. No such worries here.




2 - Man at Arms and Evil Lyn

The single carded figures are great if you can get them at the original price. Amazon always offers these on pre-order so you stay under the $5 mark.


Mustache Duncan is always a win.


I like to pretend that the yellow skinned version of Evil Lyn has sought out more power to be on par with Skeletor.

3 - San Diego Comic Con Battle Bones

Thank goodness for scalpers! California is a bit of a distance for me but ebay always pulls through to help me out when needed. The Battle Bones is NOT as sturdy as the Wind Raider. There are a lot of little pieces at play here so a gentle touch is needed. However, the design and poseability of this guy is great!

He can carry eight figures into battle utilizing the hole in their back. His mouth also contains many weapons including the blue weapons pack version of He-Man's weapons.









The details on these weapons are spot on.


Moss Man was probably my main reason for wanting this. They will be releasing a Moss Man later on as a single carded figure but only this one is flocked! He doesn't smell pine fresh but the set did come with a Moss Man air freshener to hang in your car.


Snake Armor Teela


1982 Toy version Man at Arms


Battle Damage Faker. I'm guessing the pink is so you could also make a Leo Faker kitbash.


Previous figure comparisons:




You'll notice the lighter red on this Teela, as well as the lighter gold arm bands. Her Staff of Ka is also longer than the previous release. The headdress is removable and you will notice that her tiara is unpainted.




The Villains


The Heroes


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016

When you become an adult and take up a career, you find that it is harder to keep up with everything going on in the world. When you are a teacher, this becomes next to impossible. That is why I am again in a situation where I found out about a toy line that I like after it has already been axed. This week's victim - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Mega Bloks (Construx), 2016. Mega has had many goes with different eras of Power Rangers but none of them ever appealed to me by design or by the content. However, discovering the Mighty Morphin variety of Rangers was a sweet surprise this Christmas. I was 7 years old when this brand entered my life. I vividly remember seeing the first teaser for the show on television and running outside and pretending to be these characters before I knew anything about it. There was a certain energy to the series that had a captivating power over we children of the early 90's. Which is why 7 year old me was running around shouting, "Tyrann

Replacement MOTU leg connectors by Rama and Amos Del Retro

Back in February, I came across a post on one of the Masters of the Universe Facebook fan pages about replacement leg connectors from a group in Argentina. I had already known about the screw and o-ring method, thanks to He-Bro -  http://he-man.us/Innovations/BrokenLegs.html , and I had used it on a broken Teela earlier this year. It worked well but it doesn't feel permanent. I have a feeling that I will have to replace that sometime soon in the near future. Plus, I am having to actually damage the figure by screwing eye hooks in their legs. Anyway, these new leg connectors felt like something worth looking into. If you go to their website, www.stands-rama.com , they have a tutorial posted on how these work: Now, my spanish isn't great but I kind of got the idea of how these work. Heat the legs, push the connectors through the crotch and attach. Seems easy enough. I searched for some more tutorials and found this one from Toy Palloi: And this one from Michael Mercy:

Toy Biz DC Superheroes Flash v2, Hawkman, Two Face

I started getting back into the DC Superheroes line early last year. Even though the Kenner Super Powers line is superior in a lot of ways, this line has a nostalgic value for me. Recently, I was able to add three more figures to my collection: Hawkman, Two Face, and the second version of the Flash! Version 2 is a HUGE upgrade over Version 1. V2 Flash doesn't rely on a wind up action feature so it actually has arm articulation. Now Flash can actually do some better posing... let alone throw a punch! V2 Flash also comes with a Quicksilver/Silver Surfer-esqe platform. It even moves forward on its own if you pull it backwards.  Toy Biz vs Kenner. The Kenner figure is obviously the better choice. Just one look at his weapon and his head sculpt and that is obvious. However, there is a dumb charm to the Toy Biz figure and I'm happy to have him. I really like this Two Face figure. He has a winding feature for flipping his

Kenner Batman Returns Catwoman and Penguin Umbrella Jet

Trying to build onto my budding DC Superheroes collection, I decided to look back into the Kenner Batman film toy lines. According to the online perusing I have been able to do recently, I found out that the Batman Returns Catwoman is actually the final product from the concept that had been worked on during the Super Powers line. I didn't need much convincing after that to try to pick the figure up. Getting this in hand, I'm reminded of all of the black and neon Batman Returns merchandise at the time. It was pretty awesome. Googling, I tried to find a picture of a Penguin backpack I had as a kid. I wasn't able to find it but I did find this similar Batman one. Pretty cool. It is interesting that Kenner included Selena's taser as her weapon. The taser scenes were some of the more disturbing moments from a very disturbing film. I think I am more surprised that they actually labeled it as a taser and not try to play it off as something else and jus

Toy Biz DC Superheroes - Flash, Wonder Woman, Robin, Riddler, and the Penguin

Toy Biz's DC and Marvel Superheroes lines were my first comic book toys growing up and I loved them! For DC, I had Superman, Luthor, Batman, Robin, Joker, Mr. Freeze, Penguin, and the Riddler. For Marvel, I had Spider-man, the Punisher, Captain America, the Hulk, Deathlok, Human Torch, Doctor Octopus, Venom, and Silver Surfer. Now, these were not the best toys by any stretch of the imagination. They were very gimmicky and cheap, especially the DC line. A lot of the issues were straightened out for Marvel. With all of that in mind, these toys still hold a special place in my nostalgic heart. Unfortunately, most of my figures broke, were lost or their paint wore away, so I decided to get back in on the line. Ebay, my ever present nemesis and vice, had a lot of carded figures that I was able to snag for $37. Not a bad start by any means of the imagination. All of the cards had some water damage and Wonder Woman's bubble had some yellowing but the figures themselves were in g