Skip to main content

Kenner Silverhawks


Around 1990, my family moved to Indiana, near my mom's hometown. Every so often, we would go shopping at the local mall with my Grandparents. During that first year, we visited Kay Bee Toys and they had a giant lot of Silverhawks that they were liquidating. At this time, neither my brother or I really knew what they were but we were immediately captivated by what we saw. We walked out of the store that day with Quicksilver, Flashback, Mon*Star, Mumbo Jumbo, Buzz Saw, Mo-Lec-U-Lar, and the giant Tallyhawk. Not a bad haul at all! 

Even without knowing the backstory, we really enjoyed these figures. My mom was really great at keeping her finger on the pulse of what interested us and always kept an eye out for things that would fit the bill. Not much later, she found a Silverhawks coloring book that covered the story of Darkbird. This book was my first real introduction to the world of Silverhawks.


I broke my childhood Quicksilver but kept the other figures in pretty good condition. As the years went on, my interests went to things that were more readily available - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, X-Men, Batman, G.I.Joe, Transformers, and Masters of the Universe. When my younger brothers were born, my Silverhawks figures were passed on to them. Flashback and Mo-Lec-U-Lar would go on to break and Mumbo Jumbo's horns would disappear but Mon*Star, Buzz Saw, and Tallyhawk would persevere. 

When I went to college, Warner Brothers began to release some of the episodes online through an early streaming system. Always one for nostalgia, I was sucked back into the world of Silverhawks and appreciated finally being able to take in the true experience. I began to scour ebay for the toys but quickly learned that collecting Silverhawks was sobering to your bank account. However, a few years later, WB finally released the series in two volumes which I was quick to pick up. 


Recently, as a collector, I've been taking an inventory of everything I have and what things I really want. To the dismay of some, I'm sure, I decided to begin selling off my Masters of the Universe Classics figures. I've discussed my reasoning for this elsewhere but, staying on topic, the figures have retained their value well. I've been able to take some of the money I've made and start putting that towards finally enjoying the Silverhawks figures. 


Quicksilver is an expensive figure but I decided to buy one that had some wear, sand it down, and repaint it myself.



I LUCKED out on a Copper Kidd in perfect condition for $30.


This Ultrasonic Steelwill is also in really great condition. Only missing his gun and some paint above his lip. That will be an easy touch up one day.



This might be a cardinal sin for some collectors, but I found a MOC Condor last year for $65. I kept him on card for over a year before deciding to go for it.





My local retro shop had Bluegrass. Some minor paint chipping and missing his hat.



Stargazer was another figure I was able to pick up in great condition.





As a true child at heart, I like to mix toys around and utilize my imagination. This Gargoyles Eliza really fits well with the line. In my head, she is now Raven. A former Penal Planet guard and partner to Condor.




My childhood Tallyhawk is still in great condition, with just some minor discoloration on the torso.






I always loved how the eyes changed to red when he was ready to shoot his missile.



I am using Wolverine's Mutant Cycle for Stargazer's Space Cycle. I had to whittle away some of it to make room for his legs. I still might give it a new paint job to reflect its look in the show.





My childhood Buzz Saw has some weird black spots that developed on his legs. Not entirely sure if dirt, mold, or just discoloration. If I ever find a better one for cheap, this will be a quick replacement.


Mon*Star held up the best of any of my childhood figures. All the joints are stiff and all of the plastic looks great.



I finally gave Mon*Star his rifle with the help of Spy Monkey Creations Glyos Armory sets. (I'm holding off on adding Mumbo Jumbo to this article until I get his horns replaced.)


Not only did I finally get horns for Mumbo Jumbo but I modded the knees on my original figure so that he can stand to his true height. Makes a world of difference.




Despite ebay's best efforts, I found a Hardware MOC for $67.




  


I wanted to try and show off his action feature, but Prowler shoots out of there WAY too fast. Even at 5% speed you can barely detect his shadow firing out. Spring loaded weapons were pretty cool.



I decided to start making some custom figures that were never produced. I used a Robocop Chainsaw and a Batman Forever Robin to create Time Stopper and an Alfred to create Poker Face. I'm still working out a way for Melodia, Zero, and Professor Power.


I was able to make Zero the Memory Thief using a Gargoyles Brooklyn. Just cut off his horns, painted his hair, and added a robe.


I made Melodia using a TMNT April, her skirt from the Ravishing Reporter version, the rock and roll Donnie variant's keytar. I made her sunglasses using extra pieces from the keytar.



I decided to use a Foot Clan vehicle for the Mob's Space limo.


(Image via ToyRewind)

It stinks that we never got the planned Hawk Haven playset but I decided to create my own in diorama form.

 Black foam board, Tallyhawk, a space themed table cloth, and the exterior pieces to my Schleich castle works well for the outside.



Toy Hax backgrounds came in handy for the inside.








So if Bird Themed Space Police patrolling a universe that follows its own Physics and Laws of Science is your thing, I suggest you give Silverhawks a chance. I know that a lot of people dog it online but they need to learn to grow up and appreciate fantasy. And I apologize for a lot of the gloomy pictures. I'm still figuring out how best to photograph Silverhawks without overexposing them with flash. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacement MOTU leg connectors by Rama and Amos Del Retro

Back in February, I came across a post on one of the Masters of the Universe Facebook fan pages about replacement leg connectors from a group in Argentina. I had already known about the screw and o-ring method, thanks to He-Bro -  http://he-man.us/Innovations/BrokenLegs.html , and I had used it on a broken Teela earlier this year. It worked well but it doesn't feel permanent. I have a feeling that I will have to replace that sometime soon in the near future. Plus, I am having to actually damage the figure by screwing eye hooks in their legs. Anyway, these new leg connectors felt like something worth looking into. If you go to their website, www.stands-rama.com , they have a tutorial posted on how these work: Now, my spanish isn't great but I kind of got the idea of how these work. Heat the legs, push the connectors through the crotch and attach. Seems easy enough. I searched for some more tutorials and found this one from Toy Palloi: And this one from Michael Mercy:

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016

When you become an adult and take up a career, you find that it is harder to keep up with everything going on in the world. When you are a teacher, this becomes next to impossible. That is why I am again in a situation where I found out about a toy line that I like after it has already been axed. This week's victim - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Mega Bloks (Construx), 2016. Mega has had many goes with different eras of Power Rangers but none of them ever appealed to me by design or by the content. However, discovering the Mighty Morphin variety of Rangers was a sweet surprise this Christmas. I was 7 years old when this brand entered my life. I vividly remember seeing the first teaser for the show on television and running outside and pretending to be these characters before I knew anything about it. There was a certain energy to the series that had a captivating power over we children of the early 90's. Which is why 7 year old me was running around shouting, "Tyrann

Funko Savage World Thundercats Wave 2

2018 was an exciting time for me because we finally received Thundercats in the same scale as Masters of the Universe! It was a dream come true for myself and, I'm sure, many other children of the 80's. The excitement was unfortunately short lived as the factory that Funko worked with screwed up the plastics used on hip articulation. Many figure arrived with broken or soon to be broken crotches and Funko was dealt a pretty serious black eye. However, they worked hard to fix that issue but that also pushed back Wave 2 of Thundercats over a year. During that time, they went ahead with a mass market retail approach for a DC Comics universe in the Savage World style. While there were some nice toys in this line, especially the Bat Cave, the overall appeal to general audiences didn't seem to be there. A lot of planned Savage World lines seemed to get axed because of the gamble not paying off. Thankfully, Thundercats Wave 2 made the cut and began arriving this past quarter

Toy Biz Marvel Superheroes Training Center

I think I can go out on a limb and say, that in 1990, every kid had at least one Toy Biz Marvel Super Hero figure. Most likely, it was Spider-Man. And just like every kid had one figure, every kid also had that picture of a playset on the back of their toy's card. You know what I'm referring to, the Training Center. It was the playset that everyone saw but few of us actually knew someone who owned it. Now, to be completely honest, there is nothing super impressive about it. Seriously. It wasn't based on anything that we had read about in the comics or previously seen in a cartoon so it has no in-universe connection. The actual set itself doesn't really assist in "the adventures" you play out with your toys. All it really does, and honestly was intended to do, is let you utilize a lot of your toy's action features. There were pillars that Hulk could knock down, a wall that worked well with Spidey's suction cups and a hook that Daredevil could

Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Updated pics + Custom Tiger Zord

  A few years ago, I came across the Mega Bloks Mighty Morphin Power Rangers line on Amazon and went all in.  The result was this blog and even my twitter account  @BeyondUbernerd .  Over the years, though, there was still one zord that I was missing, the Tigerzord. Using an extra Saber Tooth  Tiger, I finally filled that void. And since I was already taking pictures, I decided to go ahead and take new pictures of the rest of the zords. And then, of course a shot of the bad guys. I'd still like to make an Ivan Ooze and a Scorpina at some point. I still have the Megazord, my stand in for Titanus, and my custom Serpentera but they were too large for camera shots I was doing at the time. I'll work on getting new pictures of them in the future.